Sunday, May 13, 2007

Catching Up

In an effort to catch up on this blog, here's a few notes of what's been going on:
  • I went to Vegas for a company conference a couple of weeks ago & saw a woman in her panties at the hotel gym. No, it was not a bathing suit, and no, it wasn't attractive. Remember the episode of Seinfeld ("Apology") where Jerry's girlfriend spends all her time naked and he decides there are some things you should never see anyone do while naked? Well, this was close - there are just some things you shouldn't see people doing in their panties.
  • I took a few days off of work last week primarily because a) monotony/burnout (my job is very repetitive in nature); b) to go back to work fresh so I could be nice to my coworkers. Not that I'm actually mean to my coworkers, but when that's even remotely challenging day to day, that's my clue that to take a breather; and c) to have quality workout time. When most people take vacation, they actually go somewhere. Me? I spend time swimming, biking & running which I normally cannot do for long periods of time during the week.
  • I did the Rookie triathlon on Saturday. Panther sent a "Good Luck" text before the race, which was nice and unexpected. The final posted times have me in 12th in my age group (yesterday I was 13th), and I have to say that I'm really not a super competitive person who pulls out all the stops in an attempt to beat other people. I really just want to improve year to year, and I have done that each year that I've done triathlons. ALTHOUGH, there was a fellow age-grouper who I played a bit of cat & mouse with throughout the bike & then sprinted with to the finish. My official time: Swim 6:57/T1 2:03/Bike 39:42/T2 1:47/Run 17:32. I am very proud of all of my training friends who did really well. Dionn placed 3rd in our age group (note to self, she placed 13th last year, so if I decide to become more competitive then there's still hope for me next year). Glenda placed 2nd overall and won the Master's division. Stacey did well, attaining the infamous 4th place in her age group. Laura, Steve, Mark and Arturo also did well. I look forward to seeing how we all improve over the course of the summer. Other lessons learned: a) do not eat Frito pie the day before a race (I didn't have any stomach "problems" I just felt heavy all day); b) a 300M swim just doesn't give you enough time to break away from others - the entire swim was a battle of slaps & kicks; and c) lock the port-a-let door when changing clothes. Why couldn't it have been one of the hot tri guys who walked in on me???
  • I'm getting a new bike, and I'm a) excited; b) scared; and c) having a hard time justifying this expense.
  • I timed Wiley & Lulu's Motherf**cker's Day 2.45 mile/5K Trail Run & Sprint. We had 25 or so runners, sponsors, good signage, GREAT bagels, and I even had a "Race Official" shirt. MikeW and I ran the course to put up signs and I was quickly reminded why I'm not a good trail runner. Jim won the Male division and Glenda won the Female division. I think Lulu took the time sheet so I can't recall who else placed. I think Lulu was the second female and MikeW and Rob were 2nd and 3rd respectively for the men. After the race, I presented Panther with his $100 cash award. I agreed to pay him $100 for a wildlife organization donation if he showed up in a big foot/bear costume. He will be adopting a polar bear family and another endangered Florida panther with the money. A few of us - MikeW, Panther, MikeL (Ostrich) and Rob stayed awhile after everyone else left, and had a great time, although Panther wants the Bizarro Du to include the Shot Put. SURELY we can come up with something better than that.

So, I guess that's about all of the updates I have for now. I hope everyone has a great week!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Yay, Shorey!! I looked up race results today for the Rookie and saw you finished 12th--way to go, girlfriend!

Sorry I missed you yesterday at Wiley and Lulu's race--I haven't seen you in ages, it feels like. Glad y'all had fun!

Shorey said...

I was surprised you weren't there. You could have given Glenda & Lulu a run for their money. Hope you're well!

MW said...

Again... thank you for all the help!

Lulu said...

Thanks again for being our race official - we really appreciated your help!