Thursday, July 5, 2007

Remodeling (and other) Updates

The household remodeling projects for this week are well under way! Here's what's been accomplished, in a nutshell:

  • Saturday brick workout
  • Pack up kitchen
  • Pack up living room
  • Sunday long ride – Nutty Brown Throwdown
  • Bike wreck resulting in grinding knee in some gravel

(wait, I thought you said there was a remodeling project going on…)

  • Remove all kitchen cabinet doors
  • Remove all kitchen drawers
  • Remove all cabinet hardware
  • Move living/dining furniture either upstairs or in the garage
  • Hit head on light fixture
  • Remove carpet & padding
  • Fall down stairs
  • Visit Chiropractor
  • Remove tile & breaker board
  • Remove tile & breaker board
  • Remove tile & breaker board

(yes, it was that hard to remove the tile so it deserves multiple entries)

  • Swim workout, but had to stop due to injuries sustained over last 3 days
  • Visit Chiropractor
  • Sand all kitchen doors, drawers & cabinets
  • Prime & paint all kitchen doors & drawers
  • Prime & paint all kitchen cabinets
  • Move fridge to balcony

(yes, balcony – nowhere else to put it)

Right now, there are three guys downstairs sawing & hammering in my living room and kitchen, and another guy loading boxes of stuff in my garage. And two completely freaked out kitties hiding in my closet and under my master bed.

None of these efforts have been without incident (See hit head & fall down stairs) among many, many others. I am covered in bruises, mostly from my fall on the Nutty Brown ride which are all big, black/brown, and very tender. And the new one on my forehead is quite lovely.

Absolutely none of this project could have been accomplished without the tenacity and patience of my parents. My dad is a real trooper – doing the tasks that no one ever likes to do like figuring out how to disconnect the ice maker when there’s a bad valve, and chipping away endlessly at the tile. My mom even stayed up extra late and got up extra early preparing food for our lunches and dinners. Wow!

Tomorrow will be the actual installation of the hardwoods. Then I have to wait 24 hours before I can move my furniture back in, and begin living like a normal person. Oh, and I have a race on Sunday. Yikes!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Gosh, Shorey! I hope you are feeling better... surely all of these incidents mean that you are home free for the rest of the year!

MW said...

wow! exciting! hope you took before and afetr pics so we can see!!

Also, not that i'm making fun of you, but falling down stairs has been my specialty in life, and so, i'd love for you to type up a post about the adventure.

Shorey said...

I have busted my tailbone so many times falling down stairs, it's ridiculous. I think I get the falling from my grandmother. She has sustained far worse injuries, so perhaps sometime I'll write a post about that. And no, it's not funny, so I appreciate you not making fun of me.