Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Rigatoni With Prosciutto & Peas

I am a self-professed foodie, meaning that I love food, and I love to spend time in the kitchen creating and perfecting recipes. Years ago, when I lived in Dallas, I was hired to make lasagna (including a veggie version) for a café. I really enjoyed doing it, but it was extremely hard work. It seemed like all I did was cook lasagna. Now, I simply enjoy cooking good things for myself, my friends and my family. As such, I've decided I'll throw in a recipe every now and then on this blog so others can enjoy.

So the point of this particular post is that tonight I think I have perfected my Rigatoni with Prosciutto and Peas recipe. Like my grandmother used to be, I am a “dash of this”, “splash of that” kind of cook, but I think I’ve captured the correct amounts below in case anyone wants to try it. This recipe is easily enough for two people and is done in no time at all.

Ingredients:
6 oz. rigatoni pasta (½ a bag)
2 roasted chicken breasts, chopped
1 T. olive oil
½ c. diced red onion
1 clove minced garlic
2 slices of prosciutto, chopped
1 c. frozen petite peas
1 ½ c. fresh spinach
½ c. cream
grated parmisiano reggiano cheese
salt & pepper

Steps:
Boil some water & start cooking the pasta according to package instructions, about 8 minutes. In a separate sauté pan, heat the olive oil and cook the red onion and garlic with some salt & pepper until translucent and tender. Add the prosciutto and cook until crisp. Just before the pasta is cooked al dente, add the frozen peas and fresh spinach to the hot water with the pasta. After about a minute, drain the pasta and vegetables and add to sauté pan with the proscuitto, garlic and onions. Next, add the chicken to the pan. Add the cream, and about 2 T. of the cheese, with another sprinkle of salt & pepper. Stir until the cream is heated and reduced slightly. Serve immediately with a bit of grated cheese.

Notes:
I prefer organic ingredients, but that's not necessary. You can roast a whole chicken with whatever spices you like, but it is often easier to buy one at the store that is already roasted with classic spices (aka, NOT barbeque). Use whatever type of parmesan you prefer - my favorites are parmisiano reggiano and the Argentine parmesan cheeses. I have sometimes made this dish with asparagus and mushrooms, but I decided that the sweet peas and sweet red onion is definitely complemented better with the salty prosciutto and cheese.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Sounds good. I'll make that and then blog about it as if I am a food critic sitting in coach on a plane that is headed for a salty plunge in the Baltic.

Mike said...

Can't I edit these comments...to clarify, while eating this meal as my last. If a plane is dropping to oceans that seat cushion and yellow thing are useless, might as well eat and write your last review.

Tim said...

wow Shorey that sounds damn tasty, I think I might have to try it Friday night before the Toughest

Shorey said...

Variations of this have often been my pre-race dinner.