Sunday, August 26, 2007

Skeese Race Report

The Skeese Greets triathlon today was a great race. A familiar course, dependable organizers, incredible support crew...and for the first time, Dionn wasn't actually racing (I only say this because this means one less person placing in front of me in my age group - God love her).

My race plan, largely formulated in the drive down from Austin with Dionn in the car, consisted of a steady swim, a strong bike and a 1-mile-get-your-legs-under-you-then-a-2-mile-time-trial run strategy. My goal was to place in age group top 10.

I'm not exactly sure what happened on the swim for me, except that I got boxed in a couple of times during the turnaround. For the bike, I went as hard as I could (save the newly graveled - I mean, paved - road on the flattest and fastest part of the course which was so rough it made your body ache). The run went well, and Dionn yelling at me at the final mile was a) extremely annoying but b) much needed. Anything to take my mind off that damn hill and gravely path in the home stretch to the finish. I really just wanted to barf, but was afraid that would get captured on film.

I have long thought that I have one of the more competitive age groups, and even with the gravel & road issues mentioned above, I ended up with a PR for the bike (18.7 mph) and the run (8:18 pace!!!!! - up from 8:29) and I placed 10th in my age group.

Afterwards, I made a beeline to the keg (thank you to New Belgium, Austin Duathletes sponsor who donated a keg of their summer brew, Skinny Dip), and then about 15 minutes on the massage table for some work on my shin splint which has been problematic for about 3 weeks.

Overall I'm pleased with how I did today, but moreso I am so thankful for my friends who were out there cheering for me (Happy Birthday, Panther!), and the fun we had at the Austin Duathletes tent, the "keg stand", and just being in the race environment that I love so much. Thanks to Kris, Michelle, Dionn & Panther for making today such a great day.

2 comments:

Dionn said...

YEA! Congrats on your first Top 10 Finish! There's more where that came from I just know it!

It was fun cheering you on/yelling at you! Hope it helped! :)

WOOOHOOOO!

Kris said...

You forgot to mention that it was hotter than hell--and you still pulled off a great race! Congrats!

Oh, and I'm with Dionn, it was a blast being out there cheering for you and hanging out afterwards. :)