Friday, November 23, 2007

Turkey Trot Race (and eating) Report

Can you say "COLD"? Yes, I know my blood is thin, and yes, I know I'm really not a fan of cold weather unless a) I'm near a campfire, b) inside next to my fireplace, or c) in bed under an electric blanket. Having near 90 degree weather until the 3rd week in November certainly hasn't helped thicken my blood at all. So, what do you do when you wake up Thanksgiving morning to 38 degree weather when you're running the Trot? Well, you bundle up & suck it up and get your ass out there. Especially when you know the day ahead includes (on average) a 5000 calorie meal (I even took a photo of it with my phone, but have since managed to cycle my phone with a load of laundry, so if it ever decides it will work again, I'll try to post the photo).

My sisters and I have run the Trot consistently since 2002. This was the first year that my sister, Jaye, opted to not join us for the Trot (or even join the family for the holiday, for that matter...but that's a different story for a different day...sigh). My other sister, Katie, is in from DC and managed to talk the folks into coming out to the race cheer us on in the cold & wind. Thanksgiving morning they are usually getting the house in order, the turkey in the oven for our lunchtime meal, etc. so it was a nice surprise to have them out there with us. I always recall this course as having a few hills in all the wrong places.


After a warmup, here's how it went down:

Mile 1 (iPod = The Three Degrees & OneRepublic) - could barely tell we had done a warmup, legs cold, but the wind finally started letting up. Slow & easy up the hill, Katie & I sticking together, sip of water. Time: 9:38.

Mile 2 (iPod = Billy Idol) - song forced me to pick up the pace, mostly flat with a downhill, really feeling good. Time: 8:43.

Mile 3 (iPod = The Cure & Scorpions) - up Duval, hills didn't seem so bad, families in their yards cheering runners on. Someone farted and it LINGERED. Yuck. Time: 9:01.

Mile 4 (iPod = Donna Summer) - water stop, wham! - some kid throwing his still-filled water cup hit me in the chest. Thanks, dude! Time: 8:59.

Mile 5 (iPod = rewind to Billy Idol again) - saw the folks cheering, rounding the corner for the last big hill, not as bad as I'd remembered, saw Laura K. briefly. Time: 8:32.

Circled back after the mats to look for Katie & then ran across the finish again with her. She had really picked up the pace!

Overall time 2003: 55:52 (11:10/mile)
Overall time 2004: 55:37 (11:07/mile)
Overall time 2005: 52:38 (10:30/mile)
Overall time 2006: 46:28 (9:18/mile)
Overall time 2007: 44:52 (8:58/mile)

Finally broke a 9 minute pace on this race! Gmaps Pedometer indicates I burned about 500 calories on this course. Completely justified the meal, which included all our traditional favorites:
  • Turkey
  • Cornbread stuffing
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Gravy
  • Homemade pumpkin soup
  • Salad
  • Homemade cranberry sauce
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Green bean casserole
  • Pierogies (Dad's family tradition)
  • Fried okra (Mom's family tradition)
  • Homemade applesauce
  • Rolls
Followed by second helpings of:
  • Turkey
  • Green bean casserole
  • Pierogies
  • Fried okra
  • Stuffing

And then followed by:

  • Pumpkin pie
  • Pecan pie
  • Yellow Daisy Chocolate pie (my favorite)
  • Apple pie

Followed by:

  • Lounging on the couch
  • Kitchen cleanup
  • More lounging on the couch
  • Bringing in the Christmas tree
  • Movie watching

And then a repeat of eating leftovers at about 7pm. Everyone always jokes prior to the holidays about having to be with family and how dysfunction is at it's max. However, there was not one moment of awkward conversation, not one argument, not one raised voice, not one curse word, and not one spilled glass of wine, tea or coffee on Mom's tablecloth. This was the perfect Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

kt said...

I concur, Big Sister. Well said. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks! xoxo