Sunday, January 20, 2008

NYC prices in ATX

I have always loved getting my hair cut, primarily because I loved the hairdresser I had for many years; however, it feels good to have someone else wash your hair, massage your scalp, give you some aromatherapy, and blowdry your hair. But my love affair with the haircut experience started in Dallas at M/R Salon, and Patrick was the best. I trusted him with anything, and often just let him give me whatever style he wanted. He moved to New York in 1997, and I was devastated. Fortunately, when I moved there a couple of years later I again went to Patrick, who is now at the Aveda SoHo salon. I don't color my hair, I don't have any perms, retextures, etc. Just a cut & blow dry. I recall my shock when I paid $120 just for a cut. But hey, it's NYC, right? It's expected. Plus, it's Patrick and I loved him.

When I moved back to Austin, I struggled to find another hair salon and stylist that would give me the same positive experience. When work would take me back to NYC, I would schedule appointments with Patrick, and realized this was a little ridiculous. He recommended a stylist in Austin, also at an Aveda salon, so I've been going there for about a year now. The new guy is great, and has won some industry awards or something, but I'm starting to get the impression that he just wants to get me in and out. Even when I want to brainstorm on trying something new, even giving out different cut ideas, he always just goes straight back to basically what I always have. I like my haircut, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I think I might want something a little more sassy (although it still has to be low-maintenance).

Anyway, so I went yesterday and the client who was in before me was simply getting a blowdry. I asked how much that was and my hairdresser said, "$70." I tried to hide my shock, and just nodded (note to self: not worth it). When I checked out my own bill was $160. Just. For. A. Cut. SHEESH!

Seems it's now cheaper to go see Patrick whenever I'm in NYC. And I might just go back to that plan.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Wow. I mean, wow. I've been following the same girl all over Austin for eight years (and something like six salons). I have a very complicated haircut and I get highlights (three colors). A complicated haircut, full highlights, and blow dry has never cost me more than $170, and that's with tip.

My stylist's name is Amy Bonneau, she's at Electra on S. Lamar. I highly recommend her.

KP said...

The namesake owner still pulls up his sleeves and works the clippers at Austin's most reliable salon: "Pete's Flat Top Shop - Where Looking Good is Understood!"

I guarantee you'll never pay "New York prices" there. In fact, it's probably best not to even mention that capital of Yankee-ism around the boys at Pete's.

For a special treat, go in on a slow day, and ask for a hot shave... now that's pampering!