Monday, August 25, 2008

Rant for the Day: Garmin Customer Support Hell

Not exactly sure why, but occasionally when my wireless 405 downloads my activity, I notice that the profile is "j". This "j" is apparently a 150lb. male. Uhh, in other words, not me. I then discovered that my 60 mile bike ride from yesterday won't download. It says it's complete, but it's not there in my Training Center.

So, I try the owner's manual. Nothing really there. Then I try the website, which has several topics and suggestions for my issue, but the fixes are lacking in detail (e.g., precisely HOW to re-pair the device). Next step: call support. I waited 35 mins on hold for someone to answer. I then explained my situation, giving details as to how I have tried to fix it myself. And then he said he'd transfer me right over to Tier 2 support. Then I hear:

"Your wait time is approximately 40 minutes."

The even worse part of Garmin support is that their hours of operation are only during traditional business hours.

And the even worser part of this situation is that now that I have been on hold for a total of 59 minutes, I have a work conference call 7 minutes from now. How do you tell your colleagues that the Garmin situation feels a little more critical than something business-related??

Yep. It's gonna be a Monday...all. day. long.

8 comments:

brownie said...

Drink for whining, nerd!

Shorey said...

I knew that was coming. Hey, Brownie, just a thought: How about something a little more original? Just a suggestion...

brownie said...

I believe I invented that saying, so technically it is original.

Jane said...

i had a problem with my heart rate monitor on my 305. I sent an email. Garmin responded with a suggestion that fixed it the first time. When it broke again, they sent me a replacement. Try sending an email...

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Sounds like they may have been trained by the customer service people at Time Warner...

Mark said...

No, I've not had too much luck with their support either, endless 10's of minutes on hold :-(

Does your training center have different options for "Retrieve data from device"? Mine, for a 305, has an icon to hit, a pull down to select, and removing and re-seating the 305 in it's craddle (mine is wire-based, not your fancy wireless). But I sometimes find I need to tell it 3 or 4 times to retrieve from device before it yanks down the latest workouts ... have you re-tried endlessly?

Way back, I was pointed at this (http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/) as an alternative to Garmin's Training Center ... but I don't know if that circumvents having Training Center do the download from device to computer.

MW said...

Running... just throw on some shoes and go.

MW said...

Running... just throw on some shoes and go. If you need distance and pace tracked, just rely on the rest of your running group to calculate that for ya!