Sunday, September 7, 2008

What a Difference the Temperature Makes

Someone asked me recently why Texans always complain about the heat. Yes, we know it's hot. Yes, many of us have been in Texas a long time, so it's no surprise that it gets pretty darn warm in these here parts. But, it does get old. Most of my friends are addicted to physical activity, we all talk/complain about it because we all understand. We all want to compare notes on how we're hydrating or what electrolytes we use. Sure, our bodies sweat as a means to cool off, but when it's 80%+ humidity, it just feels worse. Anyway, we become exhausted with the heat. And towards the end of the summer/early fall, our bodies - in many ways - just want a bit of a break. No doubt, our bodies NEED a break.

Well, halleluja, we got one this weekend! Both yesterday & today humidity was lower than usual, temperatures were in the high 60s in the mornings, and boy howdy it makes all the difference in the world. I had an absolutely awesome run yesterday morning at 5:30, and I was sure that it would suck since I had spent most of the day Friday on an airplane or running through airports in heels. But I hydrated quite a bit, carbo loaded on Thursday, and I just felt fantastic. I didn't experience the normal soreness/stiffness that invades my body post-run on Saturday afternoon at all. Then this morning, I completed a 30/4 brick and again, felt wonderful. I even got to ride with Glenda for a bit before I turned around, which was a nice surprise. And ran into Menard & Arturo before starting my run.

Even the way the sun is shining today, it just looks like fall. Ahhhh...bring it on!

No comments: