Sunday, February 1, 2009

10K PR in Boston - A Surprise Race Report

On a whim, since I'm sorta stuck here in Boston for the weekend (between work meetings last week & next week) I found a 5k/10k race in South Boston. I found the race when I was actually Googling running stores so I could go get some warmer running clothes to wear since it is COLD here. Turns out the race was actually sold out, but the website said they were taking names for a Wait List. What the heck, right?

So, I showed up to the race site this morning and it was 25 degrees. I'm a wimp when it's in the 40s in Austin, so 25 is just freaking painful. I wore 2 pairs gloves, 2 pairs pants, 2 shirts & a jacket, and a fleece headband. After I waited around for 45 mins, I finally got the green light and my number. The line for the bag check was outrageous, and the wait for the bathrooms was even worse. I heard the announcer say that they were starting the race on time, regardless of who was in what line, so I made a beeline back to my car to put some stuff away. The jog (about a mile) to the parking garage was a nice warmup, so once there, I shed one pair of pants and one jacket. I also found a nice "secret" spot to let nature call, before heading back to the start line.

The race itself was uneventful. It was around the Seaport district, a view of the harbor and downtown. The double-loop course reminded me a little of the Dallas White Rock marathon course in the downtown area. A couple of icy areas, and I'm such a wimp, I sort of hobbled over those. I also realized that I don't know how to spit very well (anyone have tips?). The cold air had me coughing up a lung by the time it was over.

Finished with a 10K PR of 25 seconds. I'll take it!

Afterwards, I had really wanted to run another loop for a tad over 9 miles. But the warm tent with clam chowder from Legal Sea Foods and Hefeweizen from Harpoon Brewery started calling my name, and that extra loop went out the window.

Overall a good day in Boston. But 25 is just too cold! Of course, NOW it's in the high 30s.

2 comments: