Sunday, February 15, 2009

Because No One Will Ask

thinking it's a taboo topic or they won't know what to say or something: I didn't finish the Austin Marathon because of health concerns. I was on pace to run about a 4:30 until mile 9, and actually I was well in front of the 4:30 pace group for a few miles. I felt really good until that point, and it was like all of a sudden I either wanted to vomit, or sit down, or lay down or something. The rollers on Enfield must have shot up my heart rate and I remember reading that the only way to safely control this is to slow down. So I did. I saw my parents at the Exposition turnoff and told them something like, "I'm not feeling too well."

My body otherwise was holding up amazingly well - no IT band issues, no foot pain, none of the things I was fully anticipating. I was carrying my water to stay hydrated with sips here & there, taking my Gu/eGel on schedule. What WAS happening is that I couldn't breathe and was definitely anaerobic (concern #1). I also couldn't feel my fingers and had little to no dexterity when trying to get salt tabs, etc. from my shorts pocket (concern #2), and had pain in the left side of my jaw (BIG concern #3). My hands were also swollen (concern #4).

My sister was at the top of Westover & I stopped to ask her to check my heart rate (she's an RN). I was trying to talk to her but it was like I had marbles in my mouth. I asked her if I was slurring my speech & she nodded "yes" (concern #5). I just couldn't get words to form properly, it was the strangest feeling. I told her that I was pretty scared by how I was feeling, and I asked her if I should be worried. She just said to listen to my body. From then on, I saw my parents every mile and I would walk and they would ask me questions. I started feeling pretty good when I got to 45th and picked up the pace a little. I also never took another Thermolyte and seemed to start snapping back (I had taken 1 before the race and 1 at mile 8), but my jaw pain came back about 3 other times (concern #6).

The next few miles really gave me some perspective. Why was I running this marathon? For a study. Did I care about my time? Not really, especially since I didn't feel like I had properly recovered from Dallas. Did I want to continue running & finish? Hmmm... this was interesting because I didn't really have an answer. Pretty telling, in all honesty. I also thought a lot about Erin Lahr during these miles.

As I rounded the corner of Foster and Shoal Creek, my heart rate spiked again & it wasn't even a hill! (concern #7) The next time I saw my parents we talked about the possibility of me not finishing. I mean, how many things have to make me a little worried before I finally get the damn message?!?! My mom, also a nurse, asked me a few questions about how I was feeling, etc. and by mile 18 we decided that it would be a good idea to not try to finish. I was so relieved. I was supposed to get my blood drawn at the finish, and I wasn't 100% sure if they'd still take my blood if I didn't actually finish the race. I also had my stuff at the bag drop, wanted to meet up with my friends, etc. before heading home if I could just start feeling a little better. I sat & talked with my parents for a few minutes, and got level again.

I veered off course and made it to Dean Keaton & decided to try to run/walk my way in. Of course, I saw NO ONE from my training group at the finish, so I just went and gave my blood sample (but I nearly fainted while waiting), ran into Kerry & basically just said to her "it's done," got my bag of clothes, met up with my parents & got my car.

All told I ran a total of 20.5 miles, and that's nothing to shake a stick at. Sure, it wasn't the full race, and no, I didn't take a medal or a finisher's shirt. But this was a very eye-opening & scary experience for me. I don't at all regret my decision to not try to tough it out & finish, as I could have really hurt myself.

My parents took me to eat and at first I was really hungry and then suddenly I just felt sick. Then I made it home & took a nap. Something definitely happened to me out there that I never want to happen again. I don't feel bad about this decision as it was the best one for me at the time. I can't even begin to think of any alternative outcomes. I'm just glad I feel okay now, but I'll give myself a few days to get back to 100%.

I do want to thank all my friends out on the course cheering, and I am just so glad they all saw me before the shit hit the fan (although the last time I saw KP and Heather was just before Westover, so they were just on the cusp).

9 comments:

Buzz said...

We're glad you're alive, we a little worried at mile 21.5 when you just never came. We hope that you feel better soon!- Tim and RP.

MW said...

Kudos for calling it quits.
I'm proud of you.
Many people would be stubborn and get in big trouble.

you're awesome!

: )

Slingshot said...

You did the absolute right thing - too many signs of your body just saying "enough". Good call, and hell, a 20 miler is nothing to sneeze at! Rest up and take care, hope to see you at the happy hour tonight or Tuesday!

Driver said...

Good call, Shorey, you definitely did the right thing. Hope you start feeling better and we'll see you soon!!

Dionn said...

Shorey! Way to listen to your body..good call! Feel better soon!

KP said...

I hope you feel better soon and take another whack at another race - you looked so happy and peppy at Mile 4 that I was sure you were in for a PR finish. Next time, without the series of circumstances that conspired to hold you back on Sunday, you can have the run that you really deserve: an enjoyable one!

Anonymous said...

Dear Runner,
Somehow your blog was seen by a person who is a friend of the Boston Maraton Medical Director, Dr. Art Seigel. They sent a link to him. He read your blog. My name is Pierre Filardi MD, I am the medical director of the Austin Marathon. I have been in correspondence with the Medical Director of Boston over some issues about medical care at marathons. He then sent me an email and asked me if I treated you. Your condition sounded potentially serious, but I do not think you came to the medical tent. I am writing you to offer to discuss what happened to you out on the course. From your blog I cannot conclude anything with certainty, but it sounds potentially serious. Dr. Seigel thinks you may have suffered from hyponatremia or low blood sodium from drinking too much fluid. I am not sure if I agree or not, but it is possible. Also, you could have some other issue going on. If you would like to discuss this you can email me : pfilardi@austin.rr.com. Thanks. Glad you aborted your effort and recovered.

Shorey said...

I'm pretty sure it was (mostly) the medication I was taking for allergies. EKG and bloodwork was normal and my doctor thinks it was meds. I have been hyponatremic before and I was far more nauseated. Plus, I consistently hear that high heart rate = dehydration. I would be surprised to hear that there is such a fine line between being hyponatremic & dehydrated.

kirsten said...

Interesting. Glad you are feeling better. I had my annual physical a little bit ago and my doc insisted on an EKG to get a base line and rule out anything wierd that might cause a problem while I was racing. While I think it's kinda freaky to get a post from the medical diretor of the marathon, it's also cool to see the level of concern. I am a nurse and agree that your symptoms were potentially very serious.