Friday, January 1, 2010

Food, Music & Dance

After our volunteer time on Thursday, we had cooking lessons back at the house. Aisha & Fatima are the two cooks and they make some great food. They speak primarily Arabic and French so the house manager, Kadija, led the lesson. We made Tagine Chicken with Lemon (plus a vegetarian version) & Olives and an eggplant dish. It was really fun! I got a whole list of recipes from Khadija & I am looking forward to making a big meal for my family when I get back home.


After that, while we are all just relaxing in the living room, we hear these drums and beats and this great Moroccan band comes into the house. It was great - drums, tamborines, a head chime, shakers. All the volunteers were dancing with the band, clapping, having a great time.






Later in the evening the other volunteers surprised me with a cake for my birthday. It was this delicious decadent chocolate ice cream cake. A great way to celebrate: music, new friends, dancing, and chocolate!

No comments: