Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I Guess We're All a Little Weird Sometimes

I've come to the conclusion that there are just some weird people out there. At first I was thinking maybe some just have different backgrounds, or had different childhoods, different education, or different values. And I think for the most part that is true. However, there are some truly weird people also.

While researching for a recent post, I went out to the Guinness World Records website. Since 1951, Guinness World Records has been a household name, and it's the only organization that collects, confirms, accredits and presents awards like it. They have record holders with the longest appendix (gross), most Ironman races completed in one year (14 in 2005 and that's cool), and largest gathering of people dressed as Gorillas (which on the surface sounds weird until you realize it was to raise money for the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund).

What's even weirder, however, are the winners' quotes and photos:
  • Most Marriage Vows (same couple) - "We love telling each other we love each other, and looking into each other's eyes and saying our vows," sighs devoted David.
  • Longest Ear Hair (5") - "Making it to Guinness World Records is indeed a special occasion for me and my family," said Radhakant. "God has been very kind to me."
(And this next one makes me proud to be an American)
  • Biggest Bling - “I’m glad the Guinness World Records folks acknowledged me and my Crunk Ain’t Dead piece,” says Lil Jon. “I spent a load of money on that chain. I had no idea I would break a record and be recognized for it. Now that I’m on the list, it feels great. Let’s just see how many rappers try to outdo my pendant and break my record. They don’t call me the King of Crunk for nothing!”

I think, however, the weirdest of all is that just because someone is keeping track of these things, others can spend their entire lives aspiring to be included on the list of record holders.

4 comments:

MW said...

others blog about it!
; )

MW said...

also...
"different backgrounds, different childhoods, different education, and possibly different values...

me me me me!!!

Missychel said...

I think that guy needs either ear-hair product or to flat iron it.

Mike said...

In high school I collected used crayons. Why? So that today I could own a copy paper box full of used crayons with "World's Largest Crayon (Someday)" written on it.

I plan to make art with it them summer.