Saturday, November 17, 2007

Annual Donations

My job requires that I travel, which can sometimes SOUND sexy, but usually isn't. Reservations, logistics, rushing, airport stress, meetings, coordination, and hotels. About 3 years ago a coworker of mine was actively involved in Mobile Loaves & Fishes and he encouraged everyone at the office who traveled a lot to bring back unused hotel toiletries. MLF is a social outreach ministry that provides food, clothing and dignity to the homeless and working poor. The donated toiletries not only help beneficiaries maintain proper hygiene, but are also donated to the working poor as gifts to their loved ones for the holidays (especially perfumes, body lotions, etc.).

A lot has changed in the last 3 years. TSA regulations limit the amount of liquids that passengers may carry, which has certainly presented challenges in bringing these items home from my trips. Additionally, the coworker who got me involved no longer works with me.

However, I'm happy to say that every year I have continued collecting these items from hotels (and other random things from race packets, such as lip balm & sunscreen samples that I'll never use), and on Saturday I dropped off my annual donation. In total, it was over 250 bottles, soap bars, mouthwashes, lotions, perfume samples, shower caps, vanity kits, etc. all organized & separated in bags. We each have our things that we do to help others, especially this time of year.
'Tis the season!

6 comments:

MW said...

is that Red Rock in Las Vegas, if so, please do tell me about it.
I'm curious about it!

Shorey said...

Hahaha! Yes it is. You must have awesome vision. Went there for 4 days for a work conference. It's about 4 miles from the strip so it's sort of isolated, but there is plenty to do there & a rockin' pool/lounge & several restaurants. Of course, there's gambling as well.

Slingshot said...

Very cool! Thats a great idea to hang on to that stuff and donate it. The hotels certainly build the cost of it into the prices, so might as well make it go to good use.

Kris said...

I have to go to NYC, Philadelphia and Chicago in the next month, and I always check my luggage. Thanks for giving me a GREAT idea for how to put the hotel freebies to use. You've told me about this before, but I completely forgot 'til I read your post. I feel better about having to travel already! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your efforts to help our brothers and sisters in need. It makes a big difference!

Alan Graham

Dionn said...

What an AWESOME idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing Shorey!!