Tuesday, November 6, 2007

You've Got to be Kidding

Back in September I took my car in for some repairs and fortunately for me my insurance covers a rental car. My agent suggested I take my car to B&B Body & Paint (which I highly recommend), and get my rental from Enterprise on Lamar at Airport Blvd (which I do not).

When I gave the car the requisite "once over" for any damage, I commented that the car was all wet and it was difficult to see if there were any scratches. It all looked okay, and off I drove in the Dodge Nitro (yuck, by the way).

I had the rental for 2 days, and noticed that it was running a little rough. It seemed to mainly do this when I was leaving my driveway which is steep and on a turn, so I thought it might be the brakes. The car didn't really seem to give me any other problems, and I drove only about 20 miles total and used less than 2 gallons of gas. If you've ever rented a car, you know that they always ask that you fill the tank up to where it was before you return it. If you don't fill it up, then you pay an exorbitant amount of money per gallon. The car only had 1/4 of a tank when I picked it up and the gas gauge had barely moved. So, after hesitating on the way to return the car, I decided I'd pop into the station half a mile from my house and put in a smidgen. I pumped a little, then checked the gauge. Pumped a little more, then checked the gauge. And so on, until I had put in $4.05 worth of gas and the gauge was back to 1/4 tank. Whoopee!

I then headed over to Enterprise to return the car. The 20-something year old behind the counter seemed more interested in flirting with her male coworkers than assisting me, but when she finally did she commented that I had barely driven the car at all. True. Then she asked if there were any problems and I mentioned that it seemed to drive rough and that there may be something wrong with the brakes. Contract signed and I left.

End of story, right? Wrong.

So a week or so later I got a call from Enterprise telling me that they found water in the gas tank and since I was the last driver of the car they were holding me responsible. I explained everything above (drove it very little, filled it up with $4.05 worth of gas, car rode rough) and she said they'd look into it. I received two more calls over the course of a month just asking questions like where did I get the gas, when did I fill it up, etc. The gal said she had everything she needed and thanked me.

End of story, right? Wrong.

I received a claim notice from Enterprise stating that I owe them $644.90 for repairs including:
  • Removal and cleaning of fuel tank
  • Flush fuel lines
  • Fuel injection and throttle body service
  • Basic tuneup

I called my insurance company and bottom line is that I have very few options. According to my agent I can either let my insurance cover it and pay the $250 deductible, or they can deny the claim and Enterprise will come after me. If I go with the latter option, I can go to court, but attorney and court fees will be more than $250. A third possible option is to file a claim against the Texaco gas station indicating they have water in their gas lines. Yeah, that one will go over well.

My theory is that car rental places top off their tanks with water to "stretch" the tank and move the gas gauge. A drop or two of water probably can't be good, but the car will still drive. I think it's a total scam since gas prices are so high.

At this point, I'm not sure what decision to make. It's hard to give in and pay ANYTHING for something I simply DIDN'T DO.

Yay for me!

6 comments:

MW said...

THAT SUCKS!

i had issues with Enterprise, and i called and bitched and bitched and escalated to a high level manager, and bitched and bitched, and simply wouldn't let her hang up, and kept saying, but that's not right, or but why?, until she finally gave in and dropped the charges.

I say call and be ready to spend 2 hours bitching. it worked for me.

JohnF said...

Sucks big time. Next time, try Budget rental car. Earlier this year I knocked off the passenger side rear view mirror when I clipped a pole backing out of a parking garage. They had me fill out some forms and they said they would bill me. but after 6 months still no bill.

Dionn said...

That totally SUX! I say fight it! You are in the right here! Those bastards....

In your honor, I shall exert my own market power and boycott them..

..but the whole situation still sux...sorry.

Panther said...

So, I asked Wiley yesterday if he's heard from you. Normally, you and I talk just about every day, but I hadn't heard from you in about 4 or 5 days, so I assumed you were dead. He goes, "Yeah, Shorey and I have been talking, UNLIKE you, and she's having this car issue." blah blah.

Now, I realize that he was just reading your blog. He might not even know your real name.

Kris said...

No, no, no, no, no. That is total bullshit. You should never have to take responsibility for something you flat out didn't do. Then again, I suppose you have to pick your battles. If I were you, I'd let insurance handle it, but I'd tell your insurance company and everyone who will listen never to use Enterprise. Also, I think it would be fun if Blue Thunder got together one day and protested outside the Enterprise rental car place where you got the car. And I'm really not even kidding.

Unknown said...

this is bullSHIT...I would be pissed. i say try Wiley's version and sit on the phone.

then I'll join you & blue thunder to protest...i won't use enterprise again!