Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Random Airport Thoughts

As I sit here at JFK waiting for my flight back to Austin, lots of things are running through my head. Here's a sampling:
  • It's a colossal waste of time to travel for a meeting when the prospect has already selected their vendor...and you're pretty sure it's not you. I have traveled a total of 3 separate times for this particular prospect, and conducted a total of 8 separate software demonstrations over the past 2 years. All to (hopefully) close the business. We get there and they've hired a consultant to help with vendor selection who you are just hearing about it FOR THE FIRST TIME. Consultants like that usually invite the vendor in to begin with. Ladies & gents: it appears this deal just ain't gonna happen.
  • You know you'll miss your flight when the car service takes you around the entire circumferance of Manhattan because it's faster than going crosstown. For anyone who's never really looked at Manhattan on a map, it's long north-south and narrow east-west (that's what SHE said). Yeah, I missed my flight.
  • There is a restaurant at JFK called "Mex and the City" - HAHAHAHA!! Yeah, okay... it's not funny. At. All.
  • The only "healthy" place at the JFK food court, Create Your Own Salad, hasn't had any customers in the past 2 hours.
  • The New York Sports Grill has 13 large screen TVs, but they are all showing the same thing. Isn't the point of having so many screens in one place so that you can show a variety of games all at once? I must be missing something.
  • Beer helps me tolerate this 3 hour wait.
  • Thankfully, I'll be on JetBlue! Perhaps I'll get to see a great movie on the way home!
  • If not, I bought another book because I finished my previous one too quickly.

Ok, that's it for now. It took me 45 minutes to get the JetBlue free wireless to finally connect, but there's no outlet & my battery is about dead.

4 comments:

KP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KP said...

For the record, "Mex and the City" is a much better name than "Create Your Own Salad."

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Glad you're home!

Panther said...

"Create Your Own Salad" has got to be the most original name for a restaurant ever. Aussie's should really change its name to "Get Your Own Beer."

Kris said...

Re: Panther's comment - Totally agree.

Re: JFK - I feel your pain. Travel isn't so awful if you get to stay in a decent hotel (i.e., one with cashews in the minibar and in-room (caffeineated) coffee), but the logistics of travel suck big ass. Sorry you missed your flight!