Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pre-Travel Rituals

I am about to go on another business trip for 3 days. This time to the Bay Area. Before every trip that is 2+ days I have a ritual that includes the following, all done prior to going to bed the day before I leave:
  • Vacuum carpet
  • Mop floors
  • Clean bathrooms
  • Clean kitchen, including a splash of bleach in the garbage disposal
  • Run dishwasher
  • Do all my accumulated laundry
  • Clean the litter box
  • Dust furniture, including the ceiling fans
  • Take out all trash
  • Put out a mound of catfood a giant bowl of water
  • Bag completely packed & laptop loaded (except for makeup & hairbrush)

I love coming home to a sparkling house, and since most of my return flights mean arriving home very late, it's perfect. Upon coming home, I have the following ritual:

  • Plug in laptop (because the battery is inevitably low)
  • Unpack (except for my TSA-approved Ziploc & other suitcase standards)
  • Separate dry cleaning into a bag & place by the front door
  • Other dirty clothes go straight to the washer
  • Take a shower
  • Fall into bed

I do not waiver from either ritual. Sure, these things probably make me super-anal, but I like it. I never continue to "live out of my suitcase" for several days when I return, and my house never smells (from trash, cat litter, or kitchen sink).

1 comment:

Suellen (Scout) Adams said...

I have similar...though not the same...rituals, and I leave Friday for a trip first to Madison to see the Grandbaby and then to an academic conference in Albuquerque. In all I will be gone 9 days.

Here's the problem....since I got hurt last Thursday my house is a mess and while I'm 100% better it is still going to be an issue to get some of my things done, like I have to walk up and down stairs to do laundry.

Wish me luck! And have a good trip!!