Sunday, April 6, 2008

(Further) Demise of The Today Show

I was skeptical with Katie Couric left, but Meredith has been growing on me. Al continues to be cheesy, and Ann has gotten better about not "overtalking" her interviews (where she puts words in the mouths of her guests to hurry them along and ends up actually talking over them). And I love Matt in general. But I have persisted in watching this show, or at least having it on in the background when working. Together, the cast is great, and when Al and Matt do the interest stories during the Olympics it cracks me up. I was turned onto the show when I lived in New York, and I just can't quite make the cut over to other morning programs. When Hode Kotbe joined recently, I was also jazzed. I used to see her running in Central Park, and I guess that just makes me like her more.

But come Monday, I may have to go ahead and make the switch. Kathie Lee Gifford (gasp!) is joining the show. I think she'll be primarily working in the 4th hour, which was recently introduced to compete with The View. I suppose that's okay since I barely ever see that portion (I mean, come on! FOUR hours??). I really dislike Kathie Lee, and I have difficulty pinpointing the precise reasons. I guess it's partly that she acts like she's funnier than she is, and partly that she's always upstaging whomever she's with. Oh, and partly because she's a loudmouth. Plus, she's one of those people who would sing a pop song of the day in her karaoke-lounge way on the Miss USA pageants long ago (or at least I have that in my memory - I'll admit that may have never happened).

I just wish they'd bring Tiki back...

4 comments:

MW said...

You said Kathie Lee Gifford and I alsmot had a nightmare while awake!
That lady is horrible. She is one of the few people in the world, I cannot stand.
Has she stopped talking about her son Cody, or is that still her only topic of conversation?

Unknown said...

Ann kills me on the Today show...she's so dramatic with her interviews...I swear someone talks about something happy and Ann has to find a way to make it sad...

Kathy Lee- is a whole 'nother story. I don't even know where to begin. I agree with Wiley the Cody days better be long over...although, she could be used as the poster child for plastic surgery gone wrong.

Shorey said...

I don't plan on staying on NBC long enough to hear Kathie Lee for even a nanosecond to know if she still talks about Cody.

I do know that when she was introduced last week as joining the show, she said that she did not have any plastic surgery on her face, but that she did on her feet (?). I call bullsh*t.

Jane said...

I can't stand that woman! I get annoyed by the cute one who always interrupts the guests...not Meredity or Ann, but the other one. Now, Add Kathie to the list. Today, I had to turn it off! She's horrible!!