Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mastering Elevation

I don't particularly like hills. As much as I force myself to do them, with the thought that eventually they will get easier (notice I said "thought" instead of "reality"), they simply don't. It's mostly a mental game, but heart rate and general fatigue definitely contribute to the success of ascending any big hill. Especially on a bike. Running? You can always walk if you want to be lame and take a breather, but on a bike? Yeah, you risk falling and looking like a jackass if you're clipped in.

So, today I decided I would bike over to the pool, get in a swim, and then bike home. Problem is, my out & back route meant ascending Adirondack Trail. Ummm...yeah.

It's less than half a mile in length (.41 mi to be exact) but it's a killer. Curvy road, no bike lane, and traffic means you can't cheat & zig-zag along. If you stop (which I have done in the past), you WILL fall (ditto). No questions about that.

Today, I did it! Partly because I knew at the other end of it was a (mostly) downhill home, shower & then The Pit with friends. Here's what this baby looks like. And I threw in a visual of Mesa, which is .75 mi and barely a higher elevation gain, but can you see the pitch in this baby?


Adirondack Trail Elevation

Mesa Drive Elevation

I felt like my kidneys were going to explode because I was engaging so many abdominals to make it. I'm pretty sure they were pulsating on either side of my spine. Not sure I'll rush to do it again, but it's good to know that it is at least possible.

No comments: