Monday, June 9, 2008

The Race That Wasn't (and then was, then wasn't again)

Ahhh, Mondays... don't you just love them? I do, and with a fierce passion.

I had a scheduled business trip up to Boston for two separate meetings, so I thought what better to do that sign up for a race, right? The Ashland Lions Triathlon at Ashland State Park: 1500m swim, 26 mile bike, 10k run. Perfect.

But then one meeting was canceled.

Then the other.

Then one was back on, then moved, then canceled, then moved, then back on again, then canceled. Makes planning to race, and getting psyched mentally/emotionally for it, a tad difficult. So, after much debate, I decided that with no business trips at all, and my "carbon footprint" just for a race (thanks, JJ, I'll remember that when you travel for a marathon), I called everything off. Canceled the travel, contacted the race director, canceled bike shop appointments (both in Austin and Boston). And moped.

So, then I hear that the meeting is back on! Except, oh crap, all arrangements have been canceled. I have already been higher maintenance with race & logistics questions than I'm sure the race director is accustomed to, but I can suck it all up and just reschedule everything, right? So, first I contact our travel agent to see if they can get my flights/hotel/car rebooked. Turns out, they never even canceled anything! Woo-hoo! So, I tell my colleague, that I can still get to Boston for this meeting.

And then I get this about 15 minutes ago:
----------------
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2008 2:20 PM
To: Shorey
Subject: week of June 23rd

Let's reschedule the 23rd for two hours. Does 1-3 work for you?

-------------

ARE YOU FRIGGING KIDDING ME???

So, what I hoped would have eventually been an interesting race report about the Ashland Reservoir, what Bostonian triathletes call "hilly" and a (hopefully) decent showing in my age group is instead an insight into some of the not-so-fun aspects of my job. Yes, this type of schedule mayhem doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.

1 comment:

MW said...

"Let's reschedule the 23rd for two hours. Does 1-3 work for you?"

Umm, no let's not.