Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Take on Shopping

My friend, Erin, just posted about her adventures in shopping lately. My take on shopping is that no SINGLE store has everything on my list. Ever. Take for example earlier this week when I needed these things:

Organic fat-free milk
Kashi Heart to Heart cereal
Lever 2000 bath gel (original)
Clean & Clear contact lens solution

So, this is just a short & simple list, but you can't get all of these items at ONE place. Sure, lots of stores carry Kashi cereal these days, but not the Heart to Heart, so that means a trip to either Whole Foods, Sun Harvest (but only the one north) or Central Market. But at those places you can't find Lever or Clean & Clear. So, I went to Sun Harvest to get the milk and the cereal, then went to Walgreen's down the street to get Lever. Guess what? They don't have it either! They only carry the bars of soap. So, then I stop off at CVS down a couple of blocks and they only have the blue Lever. I mean, when does this madness end???

I won't even mention today's slightly longer list and the places I had to go. It was funny, a woman looking for her brand of something-or-other commented that she couldn't find it. So, we got to talking and then she said, "We can blame the oil companies. They are working with the stores to make things not available so we have to drive all over town and use a bunch of gas to get what we want." Now, of course she was kidding, but ... was she?

I know some of you super-commuters out there are asking, "Why didn't you just ride your bike to all these places?" And the short answer is that I don't currently have a good bike setup for lugging around groceries and toiletries, nor do I want to maneuver in traffic when I'm this frustrated.

Ok, I feel much better now.

2 comments:

Sadie J said...

If you live north, the HEB at Braker should carry all of those items, and if you live south, the HEB on Slaughter and Escarpment (and probably the one on William Cannon and Brodie) should have them, too.

I know the Heart to Heart cereal is there (I used to get it all the time...mmm). The limiting factor might be the bath gel in that scent.

I can totally relate to the multiple stores.

Shorey said...

The closest HEB to me (near Far West) does not have any Lever bath gel at all. Plus, they also don't carry the Back to Nature brand of crackers I like, nor do they have my preferred brand of yogurt. So, as you can see, there are lots of things beyond that small list... darn it.