Monday, July 14, 2008

Sunday Evening Cry Fest

This weekend was full of two things: training workouts & movie rentals. I can go for months without seeing a movie, only catching whatever is on here & there. Other times I'll just buy a movie on demand for $3. And then there are weekends like this one where I just go crazy and rent 7 movies.

Most of the movies were thrillers (all very good movies that I would watch again):
  • Batman Begins
  • Perfect Stranger
  • Vantage Point
  • The Machinist
One that was just silly:
  • Wet Hot American Summer
And two that contributed to the Sunday Evening Cry Fest:
  • Definitely, Maybe
  • 3:10 to Yuma

No, 3:10 didn't actually make me cry, but buried in the shoot 'em up bravado of this Western-themed movie was a heartwarming story of a father trying to set an example for his son so he would be proud to call him "Pa."

And yes, there was a Christian Bale-theme to my entire weekend, but I'm not (really) stalking him. I do think he's an amazing actor who has hidden behind small independent films and the stigma that came with "American Psycho" for far too long. Yet, he's emerged as an amazing actor that is intensely private and never really seen or photographed by the Paparazzi (which is actually quite cool).

So, back to my cry fest: After "Defnitely, Maybe" I watched "Home Makeover" and was simply floored by the young man featured on the show, Patrick Henry Hughes. Extremely well-spoken, the 19-year old man is in a wheelchair, completely blind, but a great musician and an inspiration. His outlook on life is amazing, and I can see him as a successful motivational speaker at some point, if not a recording artist. He's all over YouTube, and won the ESPN Spirit Award, so it wasn't just me. With a sufficient cry headache going on, I then watched "3:10."

Ohh, ohh, gotta go. Christian Bale is on the Today Show...

No comments: