Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Roadtrip Day 4

This morning a run was on the agenda, followed by a hike in Weminuche Wilderness, which includes the San Juan and Vallecito National Forests. After making some breakfast (reminiscent of my Grandpa's favorite - toast, bacon, gravy), Sugar and I headed out on a run. The plan was to run to the trailhead we'd been told about yesterday, which was supposedly about 2 miles away. There and back would be 4 miles; however, it turns out it was less than a mile. So, short run, but then we followed that with a walk near the stables to see the horses again, and then out for a 5 mile hike along Vallecito Creek.


The creek quickly disappears as the trail goes up, up, UP. Rocky, and narrow, it was a little scary at one point. We even saw a snake -eek! I had packed a lunch & some snacks for Sugar, so we stopped a bit to rest.




The sounds were wonderful, the air was fresh, the views were amazing. Sugar even took her camera along for the day (clips to her collar & goes off every few minutes).


All of Sugar's photos - from today's hike (starts at photo #51) as well as jaunts around the trails in Austin - can be found here.

It rained a couple of times, but it's forest, so while I could hear it, I didn't really feel it. It even hailed some, but I would have never known had I not seen it with my own eyes. Very lightweight and small.


Sugar promptly took a power nap when we got back to the cabin, and I'll admit that my legs are sore. It's just simply a different type of trail, which makes for a different kind of hike.

Tomorrow, we'll head over the Lake Vallecito, which is about 2 miles in the opposite direction as the trail we were on today.

No comments: