Saturday, September 5, 2009

Roadtrip

Sugar and I took off today for a weeklong adventure, roadtrip style. We left Austin at about 11:30am after a couple of last-minute errands, and made it to Clovis, NM (elevation 4500 ft). We stopped in a few places along the way so that she could leave her mark - Lampasas, Abilene, and Lubbock. I am *shocked* at the amount of windfarms between Abilene and Lubbock. WOW.

A handful of notables:
  • Saw a big, black, completely wet dog trotting up the off ramp I was taking in Abilene. Clearly wearing a collar with tags. I called 311, but apparently Abilene doesn't have that. I hope he made it.
  • Lubbock is, by far, one of (if not ) the most littered cities I have seen in the U.S. It's embarrassing.
  • It is EASY to be Ms. Leadfoot when the landscape is So. Flat. Gave in and used cruise control to avoid getting a ticket. I was surprised after all that flatness that suddenly elevation was at 4500 ft.
  • Sugar is nervous in the car. She's sqirmy and she pants. Thankfully, she doesn't climb all over me, but she also doesn't nap. She is SO TIRED right now - I can see it in her eyes - but I'm awake, and we're in a (weird to her) hotel, so until I climb into bed, she'll be awake.
  • We got the last room at the La Quinta in Clovis (or so they said). It's dog-friendly, and new, so I drove a bit out of the way to stay here. The room is GIGANTIC. There's like a football field of space in between the ends of the beds and the TV. I'm not sure what all this space would be suited for - a wrestling match? Soccer? Gymnastics? I may just do a cartwheel before bed.

We'll take our time getting rolling in the morning. Our final destination check-in isn't until Monday. Hopefully, we can find some good camping for tomorrow night.

No comments: