Monday, September 7, 2009

Roadtrip Day 2

Sugar and I left Clovis, NM on Sunday with the intent on just going as far as Santa Fe. I wanted to find a place for us to camp, and had my sights set on Santa Fe National Forest. After a wrong turn and backtracking some to get to SFNF, we ended up on a HORRIBLY maintained road trying to find campgrounds.

Finally! We stopped at the very first campsite, which turned out to be perfect. Right next to a bubbling stream, no one else around, really primative. It was about 1:30pm when we arrived, and probably somewhere around 72 degrees.


I got all our stuff unloaded, and fixed a quick lunch of PB&J. We trekked around the campsite some to see what was around us. Lots of little nooks & crannies for Sugar to enjoy.


It takes awhile for me to just ... be. I find myself at first wondering, "what am I going to do now?" But I grabbed a beer, a book, and finally settled into the soft sound of the stream and nothing else. Awhile later I set up the Coleman grill & prepared some dinner. After that it was more reading, and then sleep.

Turns out that Sugar is a sleeping bag hog. She didn't want anything to do with her bed, but rather found her way into the bottom of my sleeping bag. It got down to 44 degrees, so I'm sure she was just looking for warmth, and truth be told, I didn't mind the foot warmer. It rained a bit during the night & I worried about stuff getting wet, but I hadn't really left anything noteworthy out (just a folding chair) so again, I think it's just my city-self resisting full relaxation.

I had forgotten how badly sleeping on the ground (well, I have a Thermarest mat) hurts my back! Ouchie!

We got up around 6am, packed up the site (well, Sugar didn't help much), ate, and headed back out of the forest. Day 3 destination: Lake Vallecito outside of Durango, and a cabin for 3 nights.

1 comment:

MW said...

nice.
that campground looks great!
i didn't think 1 thermarest pad was enough either.
next time i go, i'm buying a cheap pool blow up mattress for $2 at walmart and adding that too.
ha!