Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Week of 10s

After thinking that the 10 200m repeats workout on Tuesday was bad enough, I went to my swim workout today. The St. Stephens pool is usually pretty full at the noon workouts, but today it was just me and my coach, Brandon Marsh. It was actually pretty cool to have a one-on-one workout with one of Austin's elite triathletes. And guess what - we did 10 50m "fast" repeats after a 1000m warmup. Ouch.

So, the goal was to do 10 50m swims as fast as physically possible (but the time must be maintained for all 10) with 1:30 rest in between. Keep in mind that the St. Stephens pool is longer than the traditional 25m, so it's actually closer to 33m which equates to 10 66m repeats. Oh well. Here's how that went:

1 - 1:05
2 - 1:03
3 - 1:04
4 - 1:02
5 - 1:03
6 - 1:03
7 - 1:04
8 - 1:03
9 - 1:03
10 - 1:03

Apart from me wanting to vomit, Coach Marsh gave me some good feedback & during rests we talked about his and Amy's tri schedule this year, his televised swim yesterday with Governor Perry in Town Lake, and his CapTex goal time (which puts mine to complete shame). Pretty inspirational stuff overall, and a great workout!

6 comments:

Missychel said...

OMG!!! that pool is 33M?!! I had no idea. Way to go on kicking butt with your workout:)See you 2nite for the pub run.

Shorey said...

Yes it is, so any workout you do there, multiply by 1.3 and that's your actual distance. See you tonight!

Slingshot said...

Hey Shorey, I just found your blog! I'll have to add it to my list :) Great swim workout, that sounded like a tough one!

Laura said...

Awesome job! Sounds like you will be more than ready for Monday.

Shorey said...

Thanks, Laura - I wish more folks were there swimming with me - I kinda felt self-conscious the entire time. How's the wetsuit?

Unknown said...

Great job!!!

I'm not so sure about these 33m pools. I think that extra 8m causes me some near death experiences;)