Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Good Deed for the Day

As many of you may know, over a week ago the Gainesville, TX community (just north of Denton) experienced extreme flooding. I have family in Gainesville, and it took me a few days to get in touch with them. Thankfully, everyone is okay.

My aunt, uncle and cousin are all very active in the community - BODs, church, volunteering, etc. I asked how I could help and wondered if there were any efforts underway to which I could lend a hand if I went up there. My cousin, Lee, said that unfortunately it was those families who are least equipped to handle a flood who were most affected. Because much of the community is wading through a bunch of red tape (pun intended) to get access to state funding, he told me that the Gainesville Rotary Club has set up a benefit account for flood relief at First State Bank. The purpose of the fund is to collect donations to directly and immediately benefit local agencies that were most affected by the flood. So far, three agencies are the beneficiaries of the Rotary Club account — VISTO (Volunteers In Service To Others), CASA (court-appointed special advocates for abused & neglected children), and the Frank Buck Zoo.

Knowing that I was once a court-advocate for kids when I lived in Dallas, attending court hearings to report on the well-being of foster children, Lee said that the CASA offices and facilities were completely wiped out.

If anyone is interested in sending a donation, you can send it to:

Rotary Club - Flood Benefit Account
First State Bank
PO Box 10
Gaineville, TX 76241
attn: Night Teller

No comments: