Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Remembering

Yesterday I was shredding some old receipts and invoices from my files, and I came across a stack of vet invoices. As I was shredding them, I kept trying not to look at the pet names listed (hoping not to see the name "Austin" on any of them, since he's my buddy who crossed the Rainbow Bridge several years ago). I kept telling myself, "Don't look" but then of course I would look.

And of course, I saw it. It was the last invoice from 10/27/04. Less than 10 days later he was gone. I was surprised to see again how much his last treatments were. The invoice was for over $850, and that was with a discount of $94. I would spend that all again in a heartbeat for just a few more days.


He's buried at my parents' house, and last year they built a large flower garden near him. He's got a stone that says, "Austin's Garden." He loved it when I'd let him out in the yard so he could hide in the bushes, thinking no one could see all 27 lbs. of him. Man I miss him. And no, I couldn't shred the invoice.

2 comments:

KP said...

I really like that your parents made a garden - wish I had known the big fella

kt said...

I had a few tears as I reas this one, trying to catch up on your blog today. Our boy cats really mean the world to us, don't they? And time never changes that.