Thursday, June 5, 2008

End of an Era

In 1984, after finishing 8th grade at Porter Jr. High (behind Target/Red Lobster near Ben White & S. Lamar), I was naturally a bit nervous to start high school...new people, new classes, new teachers, and busing.

Back in the 70s, court-ordered desegregation began years of courtroom wrangling, heated debates among local politicians, and protests from all sides, before busing kids from outside their neighborhoods to schools across town. This meant, in my case, that kids from Northwest Hills (Far West area), Travis Country (off of Southwest Pkwy - where I lived) and the Y in Oak Hill (where Dionn lived) would all get on buses and travel to Johnston High School. What at first seemed scary to my 14 year old self, soon became the best years I had ever known.



We had diversity in every possible aspect, great teachers, awesome extracurriculars, great annual test results, and JHS was one of the best schools in AISD. And best of all, we had a huge bell-bottomed Ram mascot hanging on the wall in our gym (hmmm...I wonder how I could get my hands on that...)

While the school became flooded with kids from other parts of Austin, it maintained curriculum that had been in place for decades - food services, day care, cosmetology, auto-shop, etc. The year I graduated was the last year of busing.

Today, the move-out began. Johnston has been rated "academically unacceptable" for the past four years based on results of achievement tests and dropout rates. It is the first school to be closed under the state's accountability law. Clearly, the writing had been on the wall for some time, and high turnover of adminstrators certainly didn't help. However, I'm happy to hear that 50% students and 25% of the teachers will be able to attend and teach after new plans are in place, although the school will have a different name and a different mission.

So, of all the schools I attended while growing up here in beautiful Austin (Hill, Zilker, Cook, Oak Hill, Porter and Johnston) this marks the second one to close. The first was Porter, which is now the Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders. I hope whatever is in store for the JHS building, and what it represents for me, will mean something significant for those who one day call it their school. I just wish this wasn't happening the same year as our 20th Reunion...

Mascot: Fighting Rams (bellbottoms, optional)

Colors: Columbia Blue and Red

Alma Mater:
With loyal hearts
We hail our Alma Mater
Praising her name
For all the world to hear
Her colors fly
Up in the sky
Triumphantly
And wave us on
To glorious victory
Her red and blue
Her spirits true
Do Testify
Of Praises sung
For mighty Johnston High
GO! FIGHT! WIN!
Fight Song:
Go, Fight! Go, Rams, Go!
We’re the Rams from Johnston High
Invincible we stand United in our praises
We’re the best school in the land
So let’s give a cheer
A rousing cheer
Let’s fight to win the game
With victory we’ll crown our school
With glory and with fame
Let’s fight! Let’s fight!
For Johnston High tonight
Let’s fight for the red, and blue and victory tonight
Go, Fight, Go, Rams, Go!

3 comments:

Kris said...

I don't know why I didn't put it together that the Johnston High I've seen on the news is the same school you and Dionn went to. I'm sorry to hear it's closed, even if it will re-open under another name.

The nice thing is, it's not the building or the name that make the memories, it's the friends you had the people that taught you that made the experience what it was. Thankfully that doesn't go away just because a building closes. :)

KP said...

I think you should jump on a bar and belt out this Alma Mater at our next pub run in honor of the now defunct, bell-bottomed Rams.

In fact, I'll buy a round for you and anyone else that joins you.

Dionn said...

I am so sad!!

I moved my JHS megaphone in to my office in rememberance, light a candle in rememberance, sang the alma mater and did the cheer routine to the fight song.

Don't lie Shorey, I know you still know the Cadet's version. C'mon...one more time for good ol' Johnston! Come over to the house when you are ready....I may even put my uniform on....

Go, Fight, GO RAMS GO!!