Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Paula Deen is Trying to Kill Us

Last year sometime, I posted that I was disappointed to learn that the beautiful yellow lab Paula Deen always has in her "home" on her cooking show left because he got another gig. This out of Paula's mouth directly. Dog was an actor with an agent & got another job. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised about the fake things Food Network tries to make us believe, what with all the fake homes, fake ovens, fake friends, fake dinner parties, etc. I remember watching some of the classic cooking shows on PBS as a kid (some of which are still on air) that skip all this hoopla in favor of simply fantastic recipes, but I digress...

Another time I was horrified by Paula was when I caught a glimpse of her sticking her tongue directly in a chocolate fountain. She was having some sort of chocolate party, and I have yet to understand why she thinks this is acceptable. She has also licked the corner of SOMEONE ELSE'S MOUTH on the show. Yet another time was when I watched horrified as she made holiday peanut butter fudge that included cheese whiz. My arteries hardened just at the sight. Then there's also her breakfast burger...


Yes, that's a Krispy Kreme...

Yet, her biggest claim to fame on the network is her devotion to butter. She will put butter in things simply because she can, or because she spotted it in the corner of her eye on the counter. Today, I watched her put butter in a Crisco-filled pan while frying chicken fried steak. Then, I watched her make macaroni & cheese by first melting a pound of cheddar in a frying pan with a stick of butter. She does this, really not adding any value to the dish, and then giggles about how bad she is. I'm almost more disgusted by her demeanor as I am by her actions. COME ON, PAULA!!!

So, you may be wondering why do I even watch this debacle? Sometimes it's by accident. Sometimes I'm just switching through channels and land on it & I want to see what sort of lard-ridden, butter dipped "delight" she's whipping up (one day it was bacon-wrapped hotdogs with buttery cheeze whiz and a dollop of seasoned lard - not kidding). Today, it was just cause I was horrified & sat mouth agape unable to move my fingers to switch channels to safety.

Then, because I was curious, I Googled this phrase, "paula deen disgusting obsession with butter" and was really quite surprised by the amount of Internet chatter about her awful ingredients. She has a huge following, a large fan base, and several successful shows. But also she very clearly has a TON of critics. What I don't understand is a) how can Food Network let her get away with being so gross by licking things & then giggle about it and b) why does Food Network encourage her to contribute to our obesity problem?


And with that, my rant is done.

3 comments:

Tim said...

if my fingers were not covered in butter right now I would probably type a longer comment, but alas it is back to the butter stick

Dionn said...

ok...I know I'm a horrible eater, but THAT takes the c...um..butter?

MW said...

she is so disgusting.
i can't watch her show for more than a minute.
I'm always amazed how she can continue to have a show.